Thursday, April 5, 2012

What is your 'Why'?



I've been pondering a lot lately about my 'why' and it's got me thinking about whether those around me think about this stuff too. Do you think about this? What is your why? You know, what is it that drives you to do what it is you do each and everyday. Yes we all have things that we must do but what about those things that we choose to do and do with passion...these are our 'why's'. Do you train your body to fit into your favorite jeans or is it to increase your energy levels? Why do you do it?

Someone commented the other day that it must mean alot to me to fit back into my skinny jeans, as I am back to training so fast after Jetta. It got me thinking...yes of course looking good is part of the motivation but if that was the only reason I would of given up way before now lol. Looking good isn't enough to make me train hard when I've only had 4 hours sleep. I have to have a bigger 'why'.

Make mountains feel like molehills...even if you are being stampeded by lamas!

I train so that obstacles in my life seem like molehills not mountains. What I come up against inside the walls of the gym are nothing compared to what obstacles I've faced in my life. If I can triumph over that killer workout and come out the winner then nothing can touch me in life. I think this is my why. This is what feeds my soul, that gives me inspiration, that gives my life meaning and substance. These are the things that help me to do tasks and accomplish feats that I never thought possible.

Then I started thinking about why we often get stuck in jobs we hate. Why don't we do what we love?What is it that you love? What gives you your substance. What is it that enables you to lose yourself in the moment. If you don't know or think you don't have it then your mission in life is to find it!! Life is pretty bland without it.

In my job the 'why' is pretty important both for me and for my clients. Knowing your 'why' helps you push out that last rep when you think you can't do. It overrides the pain your body is feeling and helps you to push harder than you thought possible. Without that why your really just going through the motions.

I love my job!! I really do. I feel really lucky and of the minority to be able to say that and truly mean it. I've been in jobs before where I was happy enough but never felt like I was contributing all that much to anyone. I also studied for a long time to do that job so stayed in it way past its expiry date through fear of having wasted all that time. Fact is we are wasting every moment that we don't feel alive. So many people go through the day to day work week thinking that there is no other way and I used to think the same believe me. If you love what you do there will be no such thing as work. Ever again! Think about that! How awesome.

Find what it is that makes the time go quick. Do what makes you feel awesome. Do what puts a smile on your face and on someone else's. Isn't that what we are all here to do? Find what we can each contribute to the world to make it a better place :)

Make it a priority to find your why!! Start pondering now!!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Tysha! I was asked how can I afford PT and gym fees and I replied I could be wasting my money on something else. So I guess my 'why?' is because it makes me feel good about myself and anything else is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats awesome Dan :) It's all about prioritising what means the most to you and what make you feel good. Your doing so well, its awesome to see xx

    ReplyDelete